Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mommy Clothes

Getting dressed lately has become a struggle. My closet is full of beautiful linen slacks, smart fitted jackets, flirty dresses and skirts, all with coordinating three inch heels and accessories. I loved getting dressed to go to work. I worked as a design consultant, so everyday was a day to dress to impress. The best way to quickly show that you had any clue you knew how to decorate a home was with the way you decorated your self. Getting dressed every morning was fun, and I left the house feeling cute and confident. I've been anxious to get back in those clothes and aura of confidence that came with them, but I'm slowly realizing that may not happen. While those clothes fit again, they are not exactly appropriate for the trenches of the stay at home mom. For now, I've traded in my dry clean only suits and delicate silk blouses for cotton T-shirts and shorts from which spit up, drool and other baby bodily fluids wash right out. I've traded my bangles and heels for a running watch and flip flops when I'm not bare foot. Instead of letting my signature hair cascade down my back, it is now in a bun away from reaching hands. Even my bras have changed from pretty little satin surprises for my husband to cotton nursing bras that have way too much function and not enough form. I have yet to give up mascara, and because it is my last little luxury, I've gone back to Lancome. I love that mascara! It is funny how such a small little thing can make you feel somewhat put together, so I put it on even if I'm not leaving the house.
Just like it took me time to master the art of business casual, I'm sure I will eventually figure out my mommy style that exudes sassy confidence with out compromising function.

No comments:

Post a Comment